An outbreak of respiratory infections was first seen in early December 2019 in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. On 7 January 2020, this outbreak was identified as being caused by Coronavirus (COVID-19). On 30 January, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared a global health emergency, and on March 11, WHO declared COVID-19 a pandemic.
Following public announcements made by respective government bodies and alerts issued by the World Health Organization regarding the Novel Coronavirus Outbreak (“Incident”), AIG Hong Kong (Macau Branch) is treating this Incident as a known risk, effective from Macau time 18:00 29 Jan 2020 (“*Cutoff time”).
Claims arising from the Incident may NOT be covered unless the policy was purchased, and the trip arranged, before the Cutoff time.
For instance, subject to **terms and conditions of policy wordings, you may be covered if your Single Trip Travel Insurance is purchased before the Cutoff time, or for an Annual Travel policy if your trip is arranged before the Cutoff time.
The Incident is evolving. Please note cover may be restricted or excluded if: (i) at the time of taking out the policy or arranging the trip you are aware of, or can be expected to be aware of, the Incident which may give rise to a claim under the policy; or (ii) you do not take reasonable precautions to avoid a claim after a warning about the Incident has been made public.
If you have already purchased an insurance policy, the facts and circumstances surrounding your trip and the terms and conditions of your policy will determine the extent of coverage for COVID-19 related claims.
*Note that the Cutoff time for traveling to/from Wuhan is Macau time 03:00 23 Jan 2020.
**Terms and Conditions may differ by products; please refer to policy wordings for more details.
· AIG Hong Kong (Macau Branch) is monitoring the present situation and will provide further update(s), should the position change.
· This position statement only remains applicable as long as the present circumstances prevail.
Tips for Travel insurance policyholders:
· Policy Enquiries & Confirmation - If you need to confirm your policy details, please call AIG Macau’s Travel Insurance Hotline at 0800227 during business hours (Monday to Friday, 09:00-17:30, excluding public holidays).
· If you have any relevant symptoms, please call our emergency assistance hotline +852 3516-8699 (AIG Travel Asia Pacific) for consultation, and we may offer you with professional guidance for seeking medical support.
· Monitor Center for Health Protection’s website for any Health Notice https://www.ssm.gov.mo/apps1/PreventCOVID-19/ch.aspx#clg17458
Thank you for choosing AIG.
AIG Insurance Hong Kong Limited (Macau Branch).